Premier Senior Living...
Because it's how you live that Matters

Senior Assisted Living Blog

Paying for Memory Care and Assisted Living Residences

- Monday, March 25, 2019
Spring Arbor, NC, VA

Assisted living specifically for persons with Alzheimer’s or other dementia is called “Memory Care”. Financial assistance for memory care comes from a variety of sources. Medicaid, through a state’s HCBS Waivers will pay for memory care or at least for a portion of the individual’s memory care costs (Medicaid will not pay for room and board in memory care homes). Be aware that Medicaid-funded memory care is not an entitlement like nursing home care. Rather enrollment is limited and wait lists are common.

The Veterans’ Aid and Attendance Pension is another popular program that helps pay for memory care for war-time veterans with Alzheimer’s or other dementias. This program also assists the surviving spouses of war-time veterans. Veterans-Directed Home and Community Based Services (VD-HCBS) is another potential source of financial assistance for memory care. While VD-HCBS will not pay for assisted living directly, these programs will pay for an outside caregiver to come to an assisted living residence and provide assistance with the activities of daily living such as bathing and grooming.

Loans for memory care exists. However, these are only relevant to persons awaiting another source of funding such as when one is waiting for a VA Pension to be approved or waiting for a home to sell.

Some states provide financial assistance for memory care from their general fund (as oppose to through their Medicaid programs). However, these states are limited, enrollment in the programs are limited and the amount of financial assistance they provide is limited. One should not expect any state program to cover the full cost of memory care. Also, traditional assisted living / memory care may not be covered. You can find information on North Carolina by clicking here.

For more information, contact Spring Arbor.