With the largest aging population our nation has ever seen, many adult children are looking for assisted living residences for their parents. The task is daunting to say the least, and many don’t know where to start, what to look for, or what to ask the assisted living facility.
Here is a list of questions to ask when you visit or call. These questions will help spur on conversation and you will find that many questions you didn’t think of will be answered as well.
Questions to Ask When you Call or Visit:
- What is your staff-to-resident ratio?
- What is the experience and training of your staff?
- How many staff are on duty overnight?
- Can your staff administer medications?
- Do you have an on-staff nurse 24/7?
- Do you do an initial assessment prior to admission?
- What types of apartments are available?
- What is the monthly cost for each style apartment?
- Do you have a wait list? If so, how many are on it and how does it work?
- Do you have any outdoor space?
- What are your activities for assisted living residents?
- What is your discharge policy?
- What additional services are available if the needs of a resident change?
- What are your billing and payment policies?
- Are all services included in the monthly fee? If not, what and how much are additional services?
- Ask if they have experience with any issues or the diagnosis of your loved one.
- Ask about some of the current residents.
For more information on senior care facilities, contact Spring Arbor.